Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Happy New Year!

Email sent Monday 27 December 2010

Wow, well it feels like I just talked to you...because I did. But I guess I can tell you how we spent christmas. We made an awesome breakfast in our apartment and all ate together and then I called you and then later we left and went here and there visiting some members and investigators and giving them cookies that we had made and singing some christmas songs for people. Never before in my life have a sang so many times for people. And I'm not a great singer, but to the people here everyone always says that we sing like angels. They love to hear us sing. So ya and then around 5 we went over the the gibson's house for dinner. They are a super cute family...well two families. Bro. Gibson and all of his sons and daughter and then his girlfriend who is also in our branch, Sister Rodriguez, and her son and daughter and Sister Zamora and I and 2 elders. The food was really good. Turkey and pie and potatoes and everything. And then the kids were all playing this new game they got for christmas called "dance central" or something like that. Basically it is this awesome new technology I'm sure you've heard of but we were so amazed by it. The tv like video records you as you try to do these dance moves that they teach you. You don't havfe to be hooked up to it or anything, it just watches you. Crazy high-tech. So we watched them attempt to dance and play it, and then we even took a couple turns trying it. (Don't worry, President said that Christmas was our day off, so I don't think we were breaking any rules) Mostly it was just funny because it made us really feel at home, the whole family was in there trying to learn these weird dance moves that it teaches you. It was super funny to watch. And then after that we came back to our apartment and hung out with the sisters for a bit. It was a good day.

Today I will be able to go to the post office to pick up my package. So that will be exciting. Sorry you guys didn't get any surprises for christmas...I guess that's my fault cuz I'm usually the one who finds the surprise presents. I'll do better next year. :) That's awesome that you are going to get temple clothes! It's about time. Especially when you get a huge discount. :)

Yesterday Laura got confirmed. After she told me that she felt something "curiouso" enter inside her. That's the spirit. Love it. She is awesome. She got sister Zamora and I christmas presents too. She's so sweet. The other day we helped this other investigator make tamales. They were so good. The lady made her own masa-which apparently is a really big deal, it takes forever to make. But her tamales were awesome!

Something that is cool about being a missionary at christmas time is that you get to see how other families spend christmas. We get to see their traditions and get-togethers and learn from them. One thing that I have thought that was really cool that some families have done is that every christmas they give a gift to Christ. Just as the wise men came to the baby Jesus bearing gold, frankincense, and myrrh, we too can give of something that we have to our Savior as we celebrate his birth and life. The things that we have to give, or to give up, can show our Savior of our true gratitude for what he has done for us. At this time of the year, think about something that you could give to your Savior. Whether it be a commitment to read from your Book of Mormon every day, making temple attendance a regular part of your life, or something like sacrificing something to bring the spirit more into your life on a daily basis. Whatever it is, make it a commitment or a sacrifice that will show your Savior that you really do love him. As we all give these gifts of ourselves to Christ we can grow closer together and closer to him.

I am so grateful for the opportunity I have had to be here at this time and serve the Lord as His representative. This will be a Christmas season I will never forget. While I do miss you all I know that God puts us where we need to be throughout our lives so that we can grow and help others to do the same.

I love you all and hope you have a very happy new year tambien!

Con amor,

Hermana Petersen

No comments:

Post a Comment