Saturday, June 12, 2010

Answering Questions

Email sent Friday, 11 Junee 2010

Hey family,

Ok so I'll just start off by answering as many questions as I can. In no order in particular. haha sorry if this is all over the place.

I bought a spanish children's hymn book here, a full size one for only like 4 dollars, but the english ones are 20. Weird huh. It is very strange. Thank you so much for the package this week. I really needed all of those things. I especially like the cookies! They were great! My district thought so also, but don't worry I still have a couple left for me and I am cherrishing them. It was funny actually, the day before I got your package, I got a package from Ali...and it was full of homemade oreos as well. I guess you all know me pretty well.

As far as the plaque scripture, I was going to tell you last week but forgot. It will be Joshua 1:8-9 ("8. This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success. 9. Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed; for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.") I love it.

Ok so funny story: for gym here at the MTC we can either play inside in the actual gymnasium where you can play basketball, foursquare, volleyball, or run on the track or lift weights, or you can go outside to the field sorta up by the temple and play volleyball, soccer, softball, croque, or run or whatever. Usually we go inside and I love to play basketball, it is lame though because if I want to play I have to find another sister to be on the other team and I can only guard her, sisters can't guard elders so that makes it kinda dumb and less competetive. But it's still fun to play. But anyway, we went outside to play one day last week and we were playing softball and I was up to bat and I hit the first pitch that came to me over around 3 base or so. I started running and saw that an elder was really close to getting the ball and throwing it to first to get me out. So I was sprinting to first base and you know, going really fast. The elder threw the ball and the elder on 1st base caught it right before I got there. But I didn't have time to slow down or change my direction, so I just ran right into the elder on 1st base. It wasn't really a big deal except that all of the elders playing which was all but me and my companion, thought it was so funny because sisters and elders are not supposed to touch each other. It was great. They were more making fun of the elder but it was pretty funny. 19 year old boys are very 19.

Also another thing about gym that bugs me, is that sisters are not allowed to even play soccer with elders...which means sisters can not play soccer ever. Because there's no way you are going to be able to find enough sisters to play a competive game. Lame. It really bugs me. Our zone plays soccer all of the time, but I can't play because I'm fragile or something. Stupid double standard, but whatever. It doesn't matter.

Here in the MTC all of the classroom building hallways are lined with big pictures of missionaries all over the world. Most of them look really old but they are cool like people being baptized in the middle of this ice hole in a lake or in the ocean or weird things like that. So my companioni and I have a goal to do something so cool on our missions and take a picture of it and get it in the MTC collection. I don't know what it would take but I will try. haha

Wednesdays and Sundays are great here because they serve BYU ice cream for lunch and dinner. It is so good and they have the best hot fudge. I love it. No I am not getting fat.

Thanks for the IPOD charger. We actually can't listen to any music at the MTC which is lame, but I will be able to use it out in Texas for sure so thanks!

So you all went fishing at Trial Lake? That's fun. That is like our spot. It was really pretty up there. A fish hook in your arm? You and dad need to really start being more careful. You always tell us to be careful, but ya'll are the ones getting punctured.

I have gotten quite a bit of mail. At least the elders always think so. But my companion gets more than me, a lot more actually. But we have both gotten something pretty much every day. I love getting mail. So don't stop. :) The black dress you fixed is working great. Basically the packet guidelines for sister's clothes are very conservative. Everyone brought more stuff than it said to and the pictures in it lack color and current style...(some words changed to protect the innocent!) We are very fashionable here at the MTC.

Brandy's working at Kneaders huh? Great! Cashier. That's kinda stressful to learn to do and especially if she has to do it at lunch time. but working in the back is worse.

Ok four minutes left.

Now to the happenings: My companion and I and another Elder (Elder Neves) set a goal to finish the Book of Mormon by the time he leaves which is June 28th. Soon I know. I am just starting Alma right now. I love the Book of Mosiah! It was so great. I was really studying the history of everything in that book and when you really understand it it is really cool.

This week Elder Robert D. Hales came and spoke to us about letting our light shine and sharing it with others by bearing our testimonies. It was really good.

An Elder in my district has an amazing voice. His name is Elder McKinnin. We tried out to sing at a devotional and we made it. We will be performing in front of the whole MTC on Tuesday 2500 people Ah!

Well I have to go but I love you all

Love

Melinda

No comments:

Post a Comment