Monday, October 4, 2010

General Conference Weekend

Email sent Monday 4 September 2010

HI, breaking news from Texas...this week we experienced a "Cold front." Actually it was AMAZING!!! It hasn't been humid since last monday. Last monday was actually the coolest day. I can't feel the humidity at all, and that is the best part. But also Monday through Wednesday were really nice temperatures. In the morning when we went running it was low 60's and it only got up to upper 80's. After wednesday it's been back up to 95, but it still feels great because it is not humid. I love it. Those first few days it felt like we were back in Utah in the mountains or something. It was awesome!

Ge... speaks English. So we teach her in English. Basically all youth here speak English. They might speak spanish too because that's all that their parents speak, but the youth would always rather speak English. So we teach in whatever they feel more comfortable in. And since basically all of my investigators right now are troubled youth, we teach in English. But actually this week we were able to find a couple of Spanish investigators so that was really good. My spanish needs some work. It's just so hard because we are with english speakers so often. We actually had a spanish investigator at one of the sessions of conference yesterday so I had to watch it in Spanish. It was hard to follow and other than that the prophet talked about gratitude, I don't really know what he said. Just kidding, I understood more than that, but really I need to watch it again in English so I can really get it.

So ya, for conference they broadcasted it in the church. The chapel was in Spanish, and all of the other rooms were in English. So we just watched it all there. Most people watched it on BYUTV at home.

We had zone conference and interviews with the president this week. It was really good. Our new mission focus is on getting members to do their part in the work. Basically I've realized since coming out here that members don't understand that they should really be the source of investigators. Missionaries should just teach. But nobody gets it. I know I didn't get it when I was at home. But ya, so we will be focusing on helping members have confidence and be prepared to share the gospel with their friends and neighbors.

The mosquitos were really bad a couple of nights this week. We had gone out into the boonies of our area late one night, from like 7-9pm and it was pretty dark out there, and the mosquitos were like swarming us. We had run to the car for safety but then we turned the lights on in the car and realized that some mosquitos had gotten in and so we were smashing them with pass-along cards. It would have been a really funny sight for anyone watching us. My legs are also covered in these bites. I'm pretty sure they aren't mosiquito bites though cuz they itch me and mosquito bites don't itch me. I think thy are ants. They are super annoying. We sit on the ground too much I think.

So really this week was very interesting. It was sad in that we had to stop going by two of our investigators with baptismal dates. It's really sad. Actually one of them, we um...caught alone in his parents house with his girlfriend. It was really awkward the next day when we had to teach him. But we were already planning a "you need to make a decision, get off the fence, do something" lesson with him so that he could either progress or not, so we did that, and it went really well considering the situation. He has some soul searching to do and hopefully he'll come back around in a week or two.

We have found the most random array of messed up people the past four weeks. The valley here is a horrible place to raise a child in my opinion. Satan is working hard on the youth here. And yet, the youth in the church are the strongest youth I have ever met in my life. So who knows.

So basically, this week was crazy. Conference was great though!!! I hope you all watched all of it, or if you missed a session for the race, make sure you watch it in the next week. All of the talks are online already so you all need to watch them. And when the conference ensign comes out next month, read them like President Monson said. Also, there is a story in the Sept. ensign that you all should read about Preach My Gospel. Read it and apply it. Missionary work is everyone's work and PMG is more than just a guide for missionaries.

Dad, I hope you liked the fishing analogy in conference. I thought it would interest you. I hope you didn't fall asleep. :)

Also, you hope I didn't see the BYU Utah state game...actually I sorta did. A member took us out to eat and...it was on the TV and I may have glanced at the score now and again. It was not good. 17-3 when we left. Bingham should challenge them to a game.

Ok, well that's all for now. I love you, keep me updated on Quinton. Tell Ali to send me a stinkin letter if she misses me. :)

Love,

Sister Melinda Petersen

No comments:

Post a Comment